Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Work in Progress

A few days ago Eric said "You look pretty today, Tam."
"What?" I totally heard him but wanted to make him say it again. (Don't act like you haven't done this)
"You look good today."
"Ahhh....thanks Babe." I said, feeling totally warmed but also fighting the temptation to say "yeah right I look like crap and you know it."
Don't know why I always feel the need to contradict him when he compliments me.


But the best compliment he's ever given me came after church last week. (I'm not sure he meant it to be a compliment but that's the way I took it.) He said in Sunday School they were going over the Beatitudes in Matthew 5 and one of the verses reminded him of me.
"Which one?"I asked.
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled."
"Wow, really?" I said. And I accepted it because I knew in my heart it was true. I have never felt so beautiful as I did in that moment. Just to be associated with words Jesus himself spoke was awesome. I know I am being filled...God's promises are NOT empty. This was the first "spiritual" compliment I have recieved that I felt was true. Before getting really into the word and "hungering and thirsting for righteousness" I felt like a poser. Talking the talk and kind of walking the walk but without the real relationship that is so vital in a believers life.

I realized just then that compliments about outward beauty can only fill you for the moment. You're always longing for more of them. Every time I dress up (which in my case is upgrading from sweats to jeans and fixing my hair) I hope Eric notices and tells me I look nice. And if he doesn't....I'm kinda ticked, if we're being honest. Don't get me wrong, I don't want these compliments to stop in any way, but to be complimented on inward beauty was an amazing feeling. A feeling I have never gotten with a comment on my hair looking nice.


I feel like this is just the beginning for me because I am soooo far from some of the other things Jesus said in the Bible. But, very encouraging none the less. My goal is to one day remind Eric of the Proverbs 31 woman but I've got a ways to go. My children have yet to "rise and call me blessed."

The Proverbs 31 Woman :

rare, precious
10An excellent wife, who can find?For her worth is far above jewels.

trustworthy
11The heart of her husband trusts in her,And he will have no lack of gain.

kind
12She does him good and not evilAll the days of her life.
works joyfully
13She looks for wool and flaxAnd works with her hands in delight.

goes extra mile to get choicest goods
14She is like merchant ships; She brings her food from afar.

disciplined

15She rises also while it is still nightAnd gives food to her householdAnd portions to her maidens.

enterprising, prudent with money
16She considers a field and buys it; From her earnings she plants a vineyard.

energetic
17She girds herself with strength And makes her arms strong.

good steward
18She senses that her gain is good;Her lamp does not go out at night.

diligent
19She stretches out her hands to the distaff,And her hands grasp the spindle. compassionate, generous
20She extends her hand to the poor,And she stretches out her hands to the needy.
provident
21She is not afraid of the snow for her household,For all her household are clothed with scarlet.
elegant
22She makes coverings for herself; Her clothing is fine linen and purple.

influential
23Her husband is known in the gates,When he sits among the elders of the land.

industrious
24She makes linen garments and sells them,And supplies belts to the tradesmen.

poised
25Strength and dignity are her clothing,And she smiles at the future.

wise
26She opens her mouth in wisdom,And the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

manages her home
27She looks well to the ways of her household,And does not eat the bread of idleness.

praiseworthy

28Her children rise up and bless her;Her husband also, and he praises her, saying:

distinguished
29"Many daughters have done nobly,But you excel them all."
God-fearing
30Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain,But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.
honored
31Give her the product of her hands,And let her works praise her in the gates.

~ Proverbs 31:10-31

3 comments:

Mrs. D said...

Sorry about the weird spacing in this one. Blogger will not let me change spacing sometimes. This is completely annoying!

The Frick's said...

AMAZING Tami! I needed to read this today! And really everyday! Compliments and I don't get along either! :) Thanks for sharing this great passage today as a wonderful reminder!

Chaos-Jamie said...

Remind me to loan you my prov 31 woman. It's worth a good laugh, at least. :)

Site Meter