Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Goodbye Maturity

Since Eric and I own a business now we have a lot of "very important" meetings to attend. I am a fish out of water in these meetings but I usually jump at the chance to go because I want to get out of the house. I get a break from the girls and dinner out, so I figure I can endure an hour of boring men in suits as a trade off. While I would love to say that I am trying to help my husband make our business the best it can be, that's just not true. Eric realized this a while ago and I haven't been invited to too many meetings since. I'll tell you about a couple of meetings that went South and you'll understand why.

A while ago we went to get our wills and estate drawn up to make sure we had a plan in place for the business. As the attorney (who just so happens to be Bob Brookens our State representative now) was explaining how everything works I began to drift off into a better place. And then, of course, what always happens when you daydream? Yes, the teacher asks you a question. I awoke to the question "what is this?" He was pointing to the will and wanted me to verbally affirm what he was drawing up....so I should have said "a will." Instead I panicked and he was pointing to the top of the paper where the staple was so I said "a staple" instead. Mind you he had brought in witnesses at this point....this was not my finest moment.

The second instance came several months ago while meeting with our financial planner Craig. I had noticed in the last meeting that he said "little rascal" a lot. Speaking about money sums as if they were little rascals. "We'll take this little rascal and put it in this account and this little rascal and put it in this retirement plan" and so on. I told Eric this on the way (he didn't notice this of course because he was actually paying attention to more important matters) and I bet him $20 that Craig would say "little rascal" at least 7 times. He said it 10. At that point I started giggling like I was in junior high and couldn't stop. He actually stopped the meeting and said "Tami, you're sure finding something funny today." I didn't get my $20.

I desparately want to be mature but I've resigned to the fact that it's just not in the cards for me. So I will sit at home while Eric goes to meetings....it works better this way.

2 comments:

Sue said...

loved your post. exactly how i am in financial meetings. my mind wanders to what's for dinner, what do i need to do when i get home. if anything ever happened to dave, i'd be in real trouble!

Mrs. D said...

Oh me too totally. This is why we have a financial planner in the first place...so he can tell me what we have where and what to do with it if something happens to Eric!

Site Meter