Friday, August 27, 2010

Three Strikes

A salesman came to my door today and the cards were totally stacked against him. Usually, with me, these people play with a full hand. If you come to my house on a good day, I will buy whatever you're selling. Eric loathes this quality about me but I just can't say no to these people! I buy magazines, cookies, fruit....I actually spent over $100 on children's books from a traveling salesman last year. But, we won't talk about how that went over. I just can't figure out how you say no without being rude. When Eric's home he tells me to go to the other room and he'll get the door. Whatever.

So today, I had just gotten the girls down for a nap, cracked a Coke and opened a can of Pringles when I heard on knock on the door. You've got to be kidding...nobody messes with my naptime. Strike one.

He asks if he can come in and talk with me for a few minutes. I say let's sit outside because I have learned (you should be proud of me Babe) that you don't let these people inside...especially strange men. He proceeds to launch into a talk about how cancer is killing us off faster than anything else. I have no idea what he's selling at this point. I actually am praying for patience because I am really having trouble being nice to this man about ruining my free time. 15 minutes later I lose my patience, cut him off and say, "so what exactly are you selling?" Cancer insurance. Strike two.

I don't buy insurance...I buy cookies. I tell him that I can't make a decision like this without talking to my husband. This, of course, is my ticket out. Except he comes out with this whammy...."Oh so you're like other stay at home moms whose husbands make the decisions for them." Strike three.

"Excuse me? Actually we make the decisions together." I am beyond annoyed at this point. Now apparently I am a pathetic person who can't think for herself. He then asks when Eric will be home so he can discuss it with him.
He's coming back at 7:00.

4 comments:

Chaos-Jamie said...

You know my husband sold children's books door to door. One of the first things they taught him was to ask if the woman could make financial decisions on her own in order to eliminate that excuse. Jerks.

Mrs. D said...

Here I thought I came up with a good one! The nerve!

Rachel said...

Way to be strong Tam! I am proud to say that I haven't bought anything from a door to door guy since that terrible time in Olathe. If I remember correctly you told me you had my back and then as soon as Kel opened his mouth you booked it back upstairs...thanks Tam, thanks a lot! Kel will never let me live down my 98 dollar bottle of cleaner!

Kimberlee Jost said...

I am beyond thrilled that I wasn't home and ripped that someone would try to manipulate you this way. How rude!

Site Meter