Friday, August 20, 2010

Thoughts on Celebrities



I am way too concerned these days about what goes on in celebrities lives. I know this, but for some reason I just love to read about their trainwreck lives. I was reading an article about Julia Roberts (I love her) the other day and found out she is a practicing buddist, doing the chants and everything. Seriously Julia? I feel like all of them are just searching, clinging on to anything that will give them peace in their crazy lives. Tom Cruise and John Travolta - Scientologists. Ashton Kutcher, Demi Moore, Madonna - Kabalaah. Gwenyth Paltrow, Barbara Striesand - Judaism. Oprah...I don't know, enlightenment? Many of them say they're Christians but their lifestyles are so far from it there's no way you can tell if it's true.

I find myself praying for Julia Roberts now and and I always pray that Jon and Kate would just make 8 again. Does anyone else do this? I often wonder if anyone has told these people about Jesus. Pretty sure it's not gonna be me, because if I did get my foot in the door it would probably be by begging for an autograph or picture. All sense of reality goes out the window when you meet one of these people. They're just people yet, because of what they do for a living, they seem to live in a different world than us - walking the red carpet as if they're more important or lead more significant lives than us.
I've met a few celebs in my life. In college, my friends and I happened to be at the mall when LFO, a band - the Light Funky Ones (look, I know...ridiculous), was there. We heard screaming so naturally we went to see what was happening. We had no idea who these guys were but as soon as we saw them (they were pretty easy on the eyes) we frantically began to search for any scrap of paper we could get an autograph on. That night some groupies were born. We all fell in love with this band and went to a concert later that year dressed as total sluts. (Slutty back then for us was a tank top with spagetti straps and cut off jean shorts - we were living on the edge). Since then, I've met several basketball players and, because of my bookstore job, I met some Christian celebs. Toby Mac, Kirk Cameron, the Gaithers (I'm not sure they count but my Grandparents were excited for me).
A lot of people can't stand certain celebrities because of what they stand for. My dad doesn't like Oprah because of the whole meat thing - totally tanked the beef prices that year. (He gets so mad when I watch it - hilarious!) People won't watch Ellen because she's gay - I happen to think she's pretty funny. A lot of celebrities are right wing activists so people won't support their movies. For some reason I just can't hate these people, they don't know any better. As far as I know, they're not saved. Yes, we should not be of this world, but we are in this world. I'm not going to turn gay if I watch Ellen or agree with Oprah on her "Find yourself!" crap. Besides, how am I supposed to get an "Aha!" moment if I don't watch Oprah every once in a while?

2 comments:

Sue said...

Wow! I prayed for Jon and Kate when the divorce rumors were circling too. I even lost sleep over the deal! Stupid right? I read People online and love reading about Hollywood drama. I to think Ellen is funny, yes she's gay, but I'm not turning gay. Hollywood is so caught up in themselves and searching for the next big thing to "believe in", that all we can do is pray for them. As for Oprah, once she started praising Obama, that drew the line for me. Oh well!

Natalie said...

Just for the record, I wore capri's to that concert-not cutoffs. But I did wear a halter top which is very uncharicteristic of me :) Thanks for the memory!

Site Meter