Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Priceless Treasure

In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith - of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire - may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
1 Peter 1:6-9

I love these verses. Before I really got into scripture reading I often thought "what exactly is the goal of my faith?" I knew I was going to heaven but would often wonder "am I really?" I knew I was saved but felt something missing so I found myself panicking about whether or not I really would go to heaven. Then I would wonder "is this faith real...is Jesus real or is this something that was shoved down my throat as a child?"

I know now that it is most definitely real. Even though I do not see Him I believe in Him and I am "filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy." Before, I guess the goal of my faith was to secure my salvation and make sure I went to heaven not hell. Because every preacher made hell sound extremely terrifying and of course I didn't want to go there. While, this is definitely a good goal I didn't realize the full treasure that I actually held in my hands. This treasure was "of greater worth than gold." This treasure was knowing personally the one who saved me. I am now receiving the goal of my faith as I live here on earth as well as in heaven. Sometimes I feel like heaven is just a bonus. The Lord is with me everywhere I go and I feel him with me. He knows my disappointments, my struggles, and every motive behind my thoughts (which is terrifying!). He knows these things about you too by the way.

If you're having these same thoughts I did or don't know if you are saved...I would love to talk with you about it or help you in some way. You really don't want to miss out on this relationship because this is truly the only one that matters.
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. Matthew 7:7

No comments:

Site Meter