Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Disappointment

When light and darkness go to battle, Light always wins. Andy Owen

I was recently hurt and disappointed by someone I love. This wasn't the first time and it won't be the last. I sat there trying to take it like a big girl and not cry. I didn't succeed, I rarely do. My husband, wonderful as he is, tried as best as he could to pick up the pieces. This person brings me down on a regular basis and the crazy thing is, they don't even realize it. About a year ago I put this verse to memory and it changed my whole perspective on how to deal with people who tick you off.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12

When I realized that it wasn't the actual person that was attacking me - it was Satan - disappointments became easier to deal with. I'm not saying they hurt less but knowing that Satan is using this person to bring me down, was life changing for me. Satan knows just where to attack....and when. He waits for an opportunity to steal your joy and he succeeds often. He uses flesh and blood people to do this - some are aware of it, some are not.

After my joy had been stolen, I sat there thinking of this verse and knowing I had just been blindsided by the powers of darkness. Then I began to have a sobering thought..."how have the powers of this dark world used me to disappoint and steal another's joy?" Sadly, I know this has happened and will happen again because of my sinful nature.

I was reading this morning about Judas Iscariot and how he betrayed Jesus. Before the last supper Satan had "already prompted Judas to betray Jesus." Then, as soon as Jesus told Judas that he would be the one to betray him, "Satan entered into him." It's kind of crazy how closely light and darkness coexist. Satan was ready and waiting to attack...he was at the last supper. As Christians we are not immune to the attacks of darkness nor are we immune to being used by these powers for dark purposes.

The coolest thing the Lord showed me through this particular hurt of mine was that people are more powerfully used by God than by Satan. I was so thankful in that moment for the people who go to bat for me. My husband, of course, and a couple others I called for support because they know and understand my situation. People who pray for you and give you comfort and words of encouragement when your soul is troubled are from the Lord. The Lord is fighting darkness on your behalf through his followers. Light always wins.

Thank you to those who are encouragers. Thank you to those who have encouraged me ~ in this situation, in this blog, and in this life ~ you have been used by God!

An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up. Proverbs 13:25

2 comments:

Rachel said...

What a good thing for me to think on..."are there things I do that bring others down?" You and your blog have actually been a HUGE encouragement to me Tam. I have been so blessed to see a glimpse into a woman's life who is trying to live a life that glorifies God...thank you Tam.

Mrs. D said...

K Rach, that's so sweet...I'm getting choked up now! You've actually been a huge encouragement to me too. Thanks for all your kind words and hilarious comments. They totally make my day. It makes me miss you...a lot!

Site Meter