Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Born a Servant

"Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Matt 20:28
I am convinced that some people are born with natural tendencies to serve others. I am not one of these people. I have to literally force myself to do nice things for the people I love. This is a serious, conscious discipline for me that I so often fail at.
When I see someones empty glass on the table I don't fill it, my mother-in-law Charlene does.

When I go to the store I don't automatically wonder what I can pick up for someone else, my neighbor Karen does.

When friends and family come over to chat I don't bake them special treats, my Grandma Jons does.

When someone is going through a trial I don't continually let them know I'm there for them, my sister Ann does.

When a family event is over I don't help clean up, my cousin Misty does.

These are the kind of people that amaze me. I know they are definitely disciplined but also know they were born special servants of God. It is their gift. I know this because I birthed a special servant. Her name is Austyn and she's 1 1/2 years old. She simply amazes me. Whenever I get her a snack she says to me "sissy too" so I get her a snack to take to her sister. Today as we had our daily Popsicle break she noticed I didn't get one to eat so she walked over and offered me a bite of hers. She always makes sure everyone has what she is enjoying. She's also very conscious of people serving her, saying "thank you mommy" to me after I put a diaper on her baby, give her a drink or tell her I love her. While I try to teach both my girls these values, serving comes naturally to Austyn. I adore this quality in her and find myself praying often that she will take it and run with it. Rylie, on the other hand, needs discipline to incorporate these tendencies in her life. I get so tired of having to remind her to say "please and thank you" or find myself yelling "if you don't share with your sister this instant I'll ...(insert empty threat)!!". Up to this point I didn't think I had anything in common with Rylie. Well now I know...:)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

So now we know why you always made Kelly light his own candle when he farted during game nights!! Your little Austyn is such a cutie! Did you take that picture?

Kimberlee J. said...

I hear ya. Serving is a stretch for me too...not natural. So, when I do come up with an idea of something to do I know that it must be the Spirit.

Chaos-Jamie said...

When I took the spiritual giftings test, hospitality scored second from LAST for me. As I'm certain Charlene's is number one I find I'm often defending myself to Brent with that excuse, lame as it is. What's mine? Prophetic/Mercy. Which means I give everyone the benefit of a doubt...right after I judge them harshly as lacking. Greeeeeeat. Sounds ever so spiritual. I think I'd rather serve tea.

Mrs. D said...

I would like to think I was teaching Kelly a lesson....I guess it never did take. :)
My friend Amy took the pic. My camera would never take that good of pic!

Site Meter