Monday, August 16, 2010

Not Going Down without a Fight

So, I'm 31 today. (Long sigh). I thought 30 was bad but now I'm officially "in my thirties." This sounds so old to me, I never really thought I would get here. I still feel like I'm in my early twenties and there are certain things that I'm holding onto very tightly to make it seem like I'm still cool. Here are a few of them:

I can't bring myself to cut my hair...I feel if I cut my hair my youth will go with it. I always think of that one scene in the movie Little Women where Jo cuts her hair and her sister says "But Jo! Your one beauty!" I have a fear that this will happen to me and it will probably be Amber to say it :). Not that I ever even fix my hair or think that's it's beautiful....just can't do it....not yet.

I still shop in the juniors section. I still buy clothes from places like American Eagle and Maurices and don't see myself stopping anytime soon. My clothing style is totally stuck in my college days but I can't bring myself to wear cardigans and nylons. Just can't do it....not yet.

I listen to rap music. (Gasp!) - Don't worry mom, I listen to the beat not the words :) - There's just something about cranking up some Jay-Z, pretending that I don't have kids or a mortgage or wrinkles. Besides I just can't find a way to run to Christian music. When Toby Mac comes on my iPod I literally start wheezing and sputtering like an old car. I occasionally pass Pastor Steve on my jogging route and I'm sure he's listening to Eminem....he always looks very determined. Well maybe someday I'll learn how to get pumped up to "People Need the Lord." But I just can't do it....not yet.

I am a Twi-hard. I love everything about the Twilight series - the books, the movies, the hype. My age has not kept me from this craziness. However, I did feel a little old when I ran into Eric's teenage cousin at the New Moon premiere (my friend Nat and I were standing there in our matching New Moon t-shirts) and she asked me if I was Team Jacob or Team Edward. We were both Team Edward. We were both giggling. Maybe I will get over this obsession once the last movie Breaking Dawn comes out but, I just can't do it....not yet.

These things are all completely nuts but who says you have to grow up when you hit your thirties? I often think about the things I can't hold onto about my youth and it's a total downer. I think about the farm I'll never live on again. Friends I went to high school and college with, I'll never see again. People I'll never get to work with again. Because these things make me sad, I prefer to look on the bright side of getting older. Not sure what the bright side is exactly....but maybe I'll check into getting advance tickets for Eclipse today.

8 comments:

Malinda said...

You are great! Love ya!

darnly said...

From your really "old" English Teacher........You are a good writer! Fun to read. Some perspective......my 31st birthday was my hardest for the same reasons. The thing is I am now double your age and I still fell like I'm in my early 20's. The mirror just lies.
Again----isn't it great that all you learned in school can be used now to blog..........

Chaos-Jamie said...

I KNEW I wasn't the only one who equated short hair with old age! Thanks goodness. Now I can point to you when Brent tells me I'm being ridiculous.

(But I did have to give up the Junior section with the third baby. Consider yourself warned.)

And my word verification was hip-leg-u. I think they're telling me my legs make me hip. What do you think? Not Hip-y, mind you. Hip.

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday Tam! I decided that at 29 I am offically older than you because 1. I have short hair
2. I own multiple cardigans 3. I have never even considered reading the Twilight books. I hope this makes you feel younger on your B-Day because I sure feel like and old lady now! Hope it was a good day!

Susan said...

The hair thing is true. I have said this a million times. Old=short hair. I feel like I am still in my early twenties too...until I go into the bathroom and no longer use the lights above the sink because they are not very forgiving. Can't believe we are not the "thirty-somethings." Happy Birthday, Tam.

Amber said...

I am further into my 30's than you and I agree with EVERYTHING you said. When I drive, I always turn on the SIRIUS hits channel and Craig thinks he is going to go nuts. I can't bring myself to listen to his "oldies." BTW, no one wears nylons any more anyway so you're safe there. Have I mentioned that I love your blog? Love you!

Sara W said...

I recently started reading your blog and I'm finding it hilariously funny. I love your sarcasm and also appreciate your honesty when it comes to matters of the heart.

Kimberlee J. said...

"She loves everything Jay say Jay does." Somehow it doesn't sound as great when I say it...

Site Meter