Thursday, September 23, 2010

To Feel Loved

I was chatting with my neighbor yesterday and she was talking about making bierocks for her husband. For those of you who don't know what bierocks are - it's a german/mennonite thing. I don't understand the intense love for these hamburger and cabbage filled rolls around here, and she doesn't necessarily love them either, but her husband does. So she told me she makes them because "he feels loved" when she does. I've heard her say this several times before - "I do... fill in the blank...because my husband feels loved when I do" - and think it's so cool.


Something about her verbalizing it makes me think "what can I do today to make my husband feel loved?". Then it makes me think what a great way to tell your kids why you're doing things..."I'm making bierocks because daddy loves it when I do". This may sound like a no-brainer to some people but I'm not a hugely verbal person so I need to get ideas of how to communicate from other people.


I cook meals my husband likes, keep the house in order because I know he likes it, pay the bills because he hates that job...but I rarely say to my kids or myself "I'm doing this because it makes Eric feel loved". Just saying it out loud or thinking it, would change your "work" into a deliberate act of service for someone you love.  These simple words could change your whole perspective and attitude about work and service.


But why is it so hard to deliberately do things for the people we love?  Why do we war against this?  Fear of not getting recognition?  Fear we won't be appreciated?  Fear it won't be reciprocated?  Fear.


I tried it out on Rylie today when she asked why I was making ribbon bridles for her horses. I said "because I love you and I want to help you out." Her response was an excited smile. This was good. We haven't had a whole lot to smile about lately....4 has been a hard age. The other day after I told her I loved her she said "except when I'm naughty." I assured her I love her at all times, but I find it hard to get across to her exactly what love means. So thanks, my neighbor, for giving me another way to communicate to my family that I love them!

4 comments:

Myra said...

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of bierocks, but the ones at the German restaurant in Hillsboro almost changed my mind. Do you have a good recipe? Jared seems to be crazy for them...but not for the recipes I've tried. :)

Kimberlee Jost said...

And thank YOU for reminding me to tell my children why I do some of the things I do for them. :)

Juli515 said...

Great Article! For Myra, I used to live in Norton, KS and am originally from Iowa. I had never heard of Bierocks either. It's a german food & there are a lot of germans in Kansas. The whole community used to go to church dinner's in Kansas specifically for the Bierocks. Here is the recipe I use & they are pretty good.
Dough: 1 pkg. dry yeast, 2 cups warm water, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 7 cups flour, 3 Tbsp. of melted shortening-cooled, 1 tsp. of salt.

Filling: 2lbs. ground beef, 1 cup chopped onions, 4 cups shredded cabbage, 2 Tbsp. water, 1 Tbsp. salt, 1 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt.
Enjoy!

Mrs. D said...

Hey Myra,
I have never made them although I'm begging the recipe off my neighbor! Eric loves them too...so I figured I better give it a try. The above recipe looks great though, I'll have to try it, thanks for posting!

Site Meter