Monday, September 27, 2010

Knitting 101

I signed up for a knitting class a while back through Groupon. I've always wanted to learn how to knit or crochet but never really found the person to teach me or the time to do it. So when I got this coupon I heard opportunity knocking. I convinced my friend Natalie to sign up with me and we are both now proud graduates of knitting 101. I thought I would show you our first projects....



This was the project we worked on in class.  It was not supposed to be anything in particular but while I was working on it at home my husband asked me if I was knitting him a jock. Nat and I kept knitting tighter and tighter as we went on and our "projects" curled up in a tight roll and ended up looking ridiculous as you can see.

Here are a few uses Nat and I came up with for our first projects:

How about bringing back the sweatband?


Possible Bikini top...we actually saw a knitted bikini in the shop we took our class in. Not sure I would want to pop out of the water with that on after a dive.


A half neck scarf perhaps...




When we first got to class the instructor made us go around the table and tell her why we wanted to start knitting. I gave a wonderful answer "so I can knit and keep my husband company while he watches TV." I later found out that if Eric even tries to make conversation with me I mess up my stitches and forget where I'm at. I end up yelling "Don't talk to me! Just wait until I get to the end of my row!" So much for bonding.

My first mistake was a lesson for the whole class as the instructor revealed "the first lesson in knitting is DON'T PANIC!" I can't help but letting out a high pitched "craaaap!" everytime I screw up.

Here are our next couple projects:

not bad for our first washrag project on our own


But how can one get worse on the second project?  Nat's is the blue one by the way...I'm not claiming that.


We're both beginning to wonder if some things aren't meant to be done by certain people.

Nat came up with the name for our store when we perfect our talents  ~  Wound Tight  ~  the name totally encapsulates all that we are. Eat your hearts out Carisa and Ashley...we will be putting you out of business in no time!

5 comments:

Carisa said...

This seals the deal! I'm having a knitting party at MY HOUSE! This is going to be so much fun!!!! We will perfect your ability to talk and knit at the same time.

AND I've got a long list of things to knit. If you are interested in coming on board A Little Knitting, let me know. I'm sure we could fit in the Wound Tight somehow....

Mrs. D said...

I'm totally game for the knitting party! Sounds like so much fun! A few other people told me to let them know if you start doing it too...so keep me posted!

Pretty sure you may have some people ask for their money back if I came on board the A Little Knitting train :).

Nat said...

I would have done better on my washcloth if my dog wouldn't have ate my needle stopper thing. I think that's when things went downhill on that project :)

Rachel said...

Love it! Kelly was reading over my shoulder and saw the first project picture and said "what is that thing?" I am proud of you two! I think crochet is probably a lot easier, but I would love to try to learn to knit. Practice up because I want a lesson next time I see you!

Anonymous said...

I would be game for a knitting party!! I've been working on some scarves, but haven't been brave enough to branch out to more difficult projects.

Site Meter