Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Creation and Oprah

Last night I watched the season premiere of the Oprah show (yes, Eric was at a meeting so I could get away with it) and I'm feeling a little sad. Is that weird? This is her last year. The ending of an era. There is no replacement for Oprah. I hardly ever get to watch her anymore but just knowing she's there at 4:00 if I turn on the TV is comforting. Should I ever feel the need to give in to my lazy side...there's always Oprah. She's been on since I was 5. I have laughed with her, cried with her, been annoyed with her (if she says v-jay-jay one more time!!) and loved her over the years.


While watching the episode last night it made me think about what a gifted person she is. Let's face it...love her or hate her, she is amazing at her job. There will never be anyone quite like her. God gave her such a unique gift that very few people have. She knows and understands what entertains, encourages, comforts and intrigues people. What a gift!


On our drive to Missouri last weekend we listened to another Matt Chandler sermon. He was speaking about the unique gifts God has given us and the awesomeness that is Creation. Every single gift comes from the Father above. Each time we are in awe of Creation or in awe of someones talent or gift we should give thanks to God. He created these things to bring glory to himself. Matt said the problem begins when our worship "terminates on creation." Meaning when we worship the person or object "the creation" instead of the Creator God.


I kind of had an "aha moment" after hearing this (a little nod to Oprah). This makes complete sense I had just never heard it put that way before. I think we're all guilty of worshipping creation at some point. Whether it be ourselves, a band, a job, our children, nature, Oprah...whatever we elevate above God we are worshipping instead. God created these things and people with these gifts to be used only for his glory.


Eric and I were kind of brainstorming about people's gifts and wondering if all of them really are from above. Abortion doctors, people who found new religions, Hitler. We came to the conclusion that gifts all start out good (a good set of brains, good motivational/persuasive speakers, good leader) but they just get distorted when people get in the way of God's work. Singers, actors, athletes, politicians...so many people with amazing platforms using them for self worship. After we got to talking, we realized it's actually pretty sad how many people are given awesome gifts and are using them for dark purposes instead of for worshipping the Lord. What a fallen world we live in.


Yes, all that out of an Oprah show....what am I going to do without her?

3 comments:

Beth Schobert said...

We went to The Village in Denton and were blessed by Matt Chandler's gift of preaching. :) I still listen on my ipod.

Amber said...

I can't stand Oprah. She's a loon, Tam. :)

Love you!

Mrs. D said...

Amber I knew you would hate this post! :)

Site Meter