Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day and Expectations

After some reflection on my Mother's Day I've come to the conclusion that I have set impossibly high standards for this day.  For some reason, I expect the world to stop and revolve around me for a day. 

Consider this my wake up call.  It doesn't.

At the end of the day yesterday, the house was still a mess, the laundry not put away, the dishes in the sink, and the plants needed watered. I kind of just wanted to cry.  Well, maybe smart off to someone and then cry.

These feelings I was having were ridiculous because I had already had a great day. My girls both told me how much they loved me and hand made me gifts and cards.  My husband cooked me breakfast and gave me a ring with the girls' birthstones in it. Wonderful....probably a heck of a lot more recognition than most moms get.  Right?  So why did I end the day feeling a little disappointed?

Expectations. Those darn things that plague you in every relationship you have.  The things that no person can ever live up to.

Thankfully these selfish feelings were pretty short lived.  My amazing friend  called last night and, among other things, asked how my Mother's Day was and I pathetically told her I was a little disappointed. After I hung up and sort of realized how awful I sounded, my "woe is me" attitude was quickly replaced with gratitude.

I get to be a mom.  I get to be celebrated on Mother's Day.

I can't expect my family to read my mind.
I can't expect 1 day to reflect an overwhelming appreciation for my daily tasks over the last 364 days.
I can't expect anyone to do my job the way I think it should be done.
I can't expect perfection.  (a particularly hard one for me)

Mess and all, the Lord has given me an awesome husband and two incredible children.  I don't need the girls to bow at my feet for bringing them into the world. I need to be thankful that I got to bring them into the world.

Thank you Lord for this lesson on expectations and being thankful for what you have given me.  I'm sorry I need so many lessons!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This week's verse

Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders you have done.  The things you planned for us no one can recount to you: were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.
Psalm 40:5

No comments:

Site Meter