Monday, March 14, 2011

A Kiss of Betrayal

I like the saying "do you kiss your mother with that mouth?"  Probably because I just like sarcastic, quick witted comebacks. But, as I was reading the story of Judas's betrayal this morning that saying kept coming to mind. How could Judas kiss Jesus in betrayal with the same mouth that probably hours or days earlier professed his love for him?  What a slap on the face. He approached Jesus with a loving gesture to betray him...I would think this would be even worse than calling out from afar "There He is! That's Jesus, capture him!"

It's so easy to think, "how could he do this? How greedy. How conniving and deceitful. He must have never truly loved Jesus or believed in him."

Scary thing is though, I find myself relating to Judas. How many days have I spent the morning using my lips to praise and worship the Father, only in the afternoon to fail him with those same lips?  My words and actions contradict my beliefs often. Then I feel guilty as all get out and ask for forgiveness. Obviously Judas felt guilt....it caused him to hang himself.  I can't imagine the weight of that guilt.  So weighty that repentance must have seemed beyond reach.

If I were under pressure like Judas, would I betray my Savior?  All that is in me says "no," but Judas knew Jesus, like, in person, and could still do it. So how much easier would it be for me who "has not seen yet believed?" Judas's story always makes me so aware of how close Satan is and how ready he is to attack.


*As part of a church program I have committed to memorizing 1 verse a week for an entire year.  I thought I would post the verse I'm learning every Monday in case anyone wanted to memorize with me!

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

These are probably my favorite verses in the Bible since I tend to get a "little" anxious at times. :)

3 comments:

Malinda said...

It's a great verse! I memorized that during all our medical stuff with Gracelyn. I'm always convicted about the "with thanksgiving" part.

Unknown said...

Just remembered I didn't say mine yesterday, I wasn't feeling too well. Can we double up next week?

Carisa said...

I'm memorizing this year too, but my schedule is less rigorous than yours. I'm doing two a month. It's been a great way to transform my mind and I'm glad I'm already experiencing some victory. Thankful in advance for what He is going to do through this for both of us!

Site Meter