Monday, March 21, 2011

It's All in the Details ~ Meditation Mondays

I just finished reading the gospel of Mark for my morning quiet time. I feel like I can identify with Mark and how he gives an account of Jesus's time here on earth. He gives short, to the point descriptions of Jesus's encounters with others and his death and resurrection.  Bare bones.  No details, just facts. 

I write like Mark.  I interact in my everyday life like Mark. I get bored with details.  You lose me easily if you give me too many particulars in a story.  I put down a book I'm reading if it goes into too much detail about the scenery or the smells or the sounds. I just want people to get to the point.  So that's how I interact, I get to the point - fast.

Although I see details as filler in books and sometimes boring in conversations, I find myself wanting more of them when reading scripture. I want to know that after Judas's betrayal, Jesus healed the soldier's ear after it was cut off.  I want to know who cut it off. I want to know and feel the weight of Pilate's decision to crucify Christ.  I want to know that one of the men crucified with Jesus was saved.

I want to know the details.

It's such a gift to have 4 different accounts of Jesus's life, death and resurrection. Each book brings a new perspective, ignites different senses, gives more specifics.  When it comes to God's word, it's all in the details.

Makes me wonder if I should slow down in life and pay more attention to details.

                                                         


This week's verse


Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

2 comments:

Mel Evans said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mel Evans said...

SO eery. Well, it's not really eery, more like way-cool and coincidental. :) Shawn and I are particpating in a study at church during lent that is all about getting to know Jesus. We are looking at what each gospel has to say about his birth, about his baptism by John the Baptist, etc. I LOVE it so far, and it's only been one week. I too think we are lucky to have the four accounts and to study their differences and why Mark chose to report the stories and information that he did, versus why the others chose the stories they did. :)

Site Meter