Monday, January 31, 2011

Kids...a Gift from God? ~ Meditation Mondays

You've probably heard these verses from Psalm 127 in one form or another:

Sons are a heritage from the Lord,
children a reward from him.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.
Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them,
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

I admit, sometimes these verses set me on edge.  On bad days when I hear them I want to say "if children are a reward or gift does this mean it's returnable? Or maybe exchangeable? Something I could regift perhaps?"

My husband was reading a book and I asked him what came to mind when I said, "children are a gift from God?"  He looked up from his book, rolled his eyes, and said "don't ask me this week" and went back to reading.

Why does this gift come with such responsibility?  Why does it cause such anger and frustration at times? Aren't gifts supposed to be something I'll always like? This gift requires so much of me sometimes that I have nothing left to give anyone else.

Some days can feel hopeless, but when I look...really look, I can find the reward amidst the daily struggle. When I'm around my "gifts" so much they tend to blend into the woodwork. They become common, not significant to me. So today, instead of focusing on the mundane, I sought out the joy that my two precious gifts give me.  They bring me...


the gift of imagination - not mess






the gift of squeezable and kissable girliness - not "hold still!"




the gift of companionship - not "in the way"


the gift of comforting - not drama



the gift of creativity - not mess


the gift of nonsense - not "what are you two doing in here?"




The most significant thing my "gifts" have given me though is a deepened relationship with the Lord...for there is nothing on earth that brings me to my knees more than my children do. :)

Thank you Lord for the gifts given to me, may I always seek their significance.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thank you Tam. This was needed. In fact, I think it is probably needed everyday.

Site Meter