Monday, January 17, 2011

I Need My Strength ~ Meditation Mondays

In a recent sermon our Pastor read this:

"Martin Luther is quoted as saying that if he felt too busy to spend an hour in prayer and devotion he immediately stopped everything and took two hours. Not because he was so pious or punishing himself but because he realized in the temptation to not spend that devotional time, the devil was wrestling the strength of the faith away from him, hindering his ability to do anything for his Lord."

The idea that the devil can wrestle strength of the faith away from believers by making them too busy for the Word really stuck with me. Probably because I know that it's true. I have felt the weakness, I just had never thought of it as the devil stealing my strength. If I get too busy with life and get out of my routine of reading God's word, I feel different. I feel out of touch. I feel weakened - a lack of passion for my faith. And I so easily forget the life-giving feeling of just reading God's words. Without me even realizing it, the dumb devil has sucked my life and light right out of me.

When I realize what's happening as a result of my "busyness" I start back up and have to reacquaint myself with God. It takes a while to get that closeness back, that strength. And then when I have it, I think "how could I ever let this go?"

And then I do.

Sometimes I think our fellow believers are so easy to let us off the hook about not spending a good amount of time in the Word. Yes, I'm a busy mom, I don't get much time to myself. Yes, I have to keep a household running.  Yes, I need my sleep or I am a nightmare to live with. But, if I can make time for a work out, I can make time for God. If I can make time for Sarah Palin's Alaska, I can make time for God. If I can find time to write this, I can find time for God. So, don't let me off the hook friends and Mom Books!  I need to have my Strength!

O My Strength, I sing praise to you; you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God.
Psalm 59:17

2 comments:

Nat said...

Ok. I will give other's the benefit of the doubt this week, but not you Tami. You will get no slack at all!

Rachel said...

Tami I was just talking to my Mom about how many times in the last year or so I have heard or been told that "hey, God understands that you are a Mom of little ones and don't have time right now." I am thinking that God will not have that same response when I tell him I had no time for Him because I had little ones. Keep up the good work Tam...you are an encouragement.

Site Meter