Friday, September 2, 2011

A "Yes" Day

A couple weeks ago I took Rylie for a day out.  We had plans to go school shopping and then see The Little Mermaid at the Music Theater.  She was so excited to have a day with mom all to herself.  Made me realize I should make an effort to do something with the girls individually more often.

I remember growing up I loved spending time alone with my mom.  (Still do actually!)  With 4 other siblings, these times were very few and far between though.  I remember feeling lucky to be the only one with braces because mom would take me to my appointments alone.  And then we'd get a chocolate shake afterward. My love for chocolate shakes has not waned in case you're wondering.

So Ry and I had a mommy date.  It kind of turned into a "yes" day.  And I loved having a positive day.


"Mom can we eat at Quizzies?" (This is what we call Quiznos in our house, it worked out well for me that my favorite place to eat is also hers....brainwashing - it works.)

"Mmmmm...sounds good, yes!"

"Mom can I have Root Beer to drink?"

"Sure."

"Can I pick out a toy while we're school shopping?"

"Ummm....maybe."  (We all know "maybes" turn into yeses")

"Ohhhh, this purple dress is so sparkly and pretty!"

"Well, it's on sale.  Let's get it!"

"Mom why are you letting me get what I want today?"

"Because today is my special Rylie day."


Unfortunately my memory card broke and I lost all my pics from our night out but here is a pic of Ry in her sparkly dress.



It feels good to say "yes" for once.  I feel like I'm all "no" and negative with her sometimes.  It was fun to get her away from the daily grind and see her excitement over having special time with me. Although we won't be able to afford too many dates like these, I see it's time to start pulling her away for a chocolate shake every now and then.

3 comments:

Kimberlee Jost said...

Some of my favorite memories are days like this with my mom. Yes days are a welcomed change!

mk said...

Wait til she's a teenager!! YOu'll have to save for 6 moths to say "Yes"...but it's worth it!! I end up paying for a haircut and a pedicure and lunch and/or a movie...but it's OUR day...and it's very special!! YES is such a positive thing (and you can be creative with "How about [this} instead of [that]??"---it's oK fr them to know we can't afford everything (and if Ry or Austy are anything like Abi...they'll figure out the YES system and take you for all you're worth!! Hahahahaha!!)

mk said...

Months...and sorry about the parenthesis fiasco! Proof read, mk! Ugh!

Site Meter