Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Why Go to Church?

What exactly is the reason we need to go to church? Many times in my life I've kind of struggled with this question. Of course, the first time being in high school, when nothing is fun and you'd rather be sleeping or hanging out with friends than doing anything else.  The only thing I looked forward to about church was playing MASH and Hangman in the back row with my cousin Sara.

This attitude followed me to college where my new found freedom was very liberating.  I often slept in and only went to church when my boyfriend's parents invited us for lunch afterward.  And I'm sure my future in-laws were very impressed with the devout girl their boy was bringing home.

After I got married we attended church on a fairly regular basis. It wasn't all that important to us to go but after growing up in the church, you just can't not go. So we did, although we didn't make any connections or get involved in any way.  We just were bodies in the pew...sometimes being moved by sermons but never moved enough to spurn us into any kind of change.

About 6 years ago, at 26 years old, a believer since I was 8...I finally grasped it.  Why we need church.  Or more importantly, why we need other believers.

We had just moved to a new town and started going to church there. Several people asked us to go to Sunday School and other activities but we did not want to go.  Mainly because we didn't want to be uncomfortable, thrown in with not wanting to get up any earlier than we had to.  But people were relentless in their efforts and we finally tried out Sunday School.

We eventually got over feeling uncomfortable and got "plugged in," going to Sunday School on a regular basis and getting involved in different areas.  We felt a sense of belonging and support that we didn't realize we had been missing all those years. And we began to grow.  I quickly saw how little I really knew about my faith and I longed to know more.  I soaked everything up like a sponge over the next several years just trying to make up for lost time.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago.  Eric and I were back to playing hangman in the back row.  Feeling burned out of church functions, church responsibilities, church problems, church church church. Blah.  What had once been a great environment of growth had shifted, in my mind, to an environment of never ending responsibilities and stressors.  I'm sure everyone goes through a little church burn out now and then.  But, I felt myself again asking the question of why do we need to go to church?  Life would be a lot easier without it sometimes.

I got a good reminder of why when Graham was born.

Community.

I had such a huge network of believers to tap on the shoulder to pray, I don't think I even used them all. My church, my friends churches, my Bible study girls, my blog faithfuls... And I felt an unexplainable amount of peace and contentment that only comes from a multitude of believers praying at the same time.

I may be a little worn out with church but what I need is a shift in priorities, some time spent in prayer about it, and maybe a smidge better attitude.  Not to question my community with believers or to consider sleeping in a bit more.

We need community with other believers.  Period.  We were created for community.  We need others for growth, to challenge and teach us.  We need them to pray for us.  We need their support and encouraging words.  And we are called to do the same for them. 

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:24-25

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Graham got to go home today!  He did so well with recovery, his surgery was only 7 days ago.  Praise the Lord!  He will have several check up's over the next few months and years but if all looks well he will live like a "normal" little boy. Thanks to the community of believers that lifted him up in prayer.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This week's verse:

If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.
Philippians 2:1-2

1 comment:

Malinda said...

I always find it sad that church can be so draining sometimes...especially all of the bickering. But, I'm glad you have felt the support of believers through everything with Graham. I think the support we get during our struggles gives us a small glimpse of what we will find in Heaven...lots and lots of love!

Site Meter