Wednesday, August 17, 2011

One Year Marks Mild Improvement

Eric and the girls made me a cake...and we had to have candles!  A lot of them.


This time last year I was celebrating my 31st birthday.  I still struggle with being "in my thirties" but feel like I have made a few improvements over the last year worth mentioning.  Take for instance, my eyebrows.  About this time last year I was in a crisis...read here if you don't remember it.

Well, my awesome husband got me a sitter for my birthday, so I decided to go pamper myself a little.  I splurged on a facial and eyebrow wax.  If I could justify it, I would be doing this once a month but considering I could sponsor 2 Compassion children for the cost of one visit holds me back a bit.  So once a year will have to do.

My experience yesterday was a marked improvement over last year.  Unfortunately Sissy was not around to witness this, but Stephanie was sure impressed:


"You have great eyebrows!  I hardly need to do anything to them."

"Really? I haven't had anything done to them since last year," I was genuinely surprised that they looked good.

"You pluck these by yourself?"

"Yeah," I said with growing confidence.

"Wow, most people butcher their eyebrows when they pluck....(laughter)."

"Ahem.....ya.....ha....crazy!"  I totally didn't fess up.  I just reveled in the praise.

What idiot would butcher their eyebrows?  Clearly, with age, comes a better beauty regimen.  (Thanks Amber - you totally saved me!)

So, I felt confident after I got home.  I am improving with age!  Then I looked back at my post on my birthday last year and lost all confidence.  No improvements there.

1. My hair is still long, although I do have plans to cut it....soon.


2.  Last week I bought a couple dresses at Maurices.  They were 60% off, what was I supposed to do? Walk away?  I don't think so.  However, I didn't step foot in American Eagle so I deserve a pat on the back for that at least.

3.  I jammed out to Justin Timberlake on the way home from my facial.  No mature music improvements.  Strike three.

4. November 18th.  That's the release date for Breaking Dawn Part 1.  I should not know that.


So I haven't matured much over the course of a year, but do feel like I'm settling into my age a little. I'm enjoying this stage of life. No matter how tiring it sometimes is.  As long as people stop telling me that 40 is just around the corner...life is good.


*********************************************

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who gave me "Congrats" and "Happy Birthday's" over the last couple days! For as much as I gripe about social media being negative, there is so much positivity to it also. I was completely overwhelmed by the number of people who took time to say a few kind words! Makes me realize I need to be more intentional about this for others. It was touching. Very touching!

2 comments:

Nat said...

Breaking Dawn comes out Nov. 1st? Sweet! I have a little over two months to drop a few pounds so I can fit into our Breaking Dawn T-shirts that they only carry in the "jr. section."

mk said...

Hey...the 40's are truly amazing!! So don't dread 'em...get READY for 'em!!! Your kids will be older and growing in independence (yep even the boy on the way =), you will have more confidence cuz you'll have ten+ more years under your belt, you'll know more about yourself...(who you are and how to handle that sometimes not so pretty reality!)...and your life with hubby will grow deeper and stronger and BETTER (I'm just sayin!)...

So get excited, my friend!!! Love and miss you sooo!

Site Meter