Friday, August 5, 2011

Blog Thoughts



I've been thinking about my blog and the fact that it's been a whole year since I started it. This is pretty exciting to me because well, a few reasons:

1. I followed through on something for an entire year!  WooHoo!

2. I've had some awesome spiritual growth in my life this year and I think it has a lot to do with writing down the things God had been teaching me. And sharing them in a public way.

3. I had a goal in mind of what I wanted my blog to be like and I feel like I've accomplished that for the most part.

I've definitely had some moments of "what the heck am I doing, my blog sucks!?" Just like anything in life you begin to compare yourself with others.  And since there's a ton of bloggers out there it's hard not to start thinking...

I'm not nearly that creative.
I have no right to post devotional writings when Francis Chan has a blog.
I can't take beautiful pictures or cook or craft like she does! 

I actually didn't read any blogs before I started my own and I think that was a good thing.  Otherwise I never would've started one.  With all the creativity out there, I totally would have talked myself out of it.

But, I soon came to terms that I didn't set out to start a photography blog, a cooking blog, or a crafting blog.  I wanted to start a blog about my life and how I attempt to live out a life of faith. I might throw in a mediocre picture, a recipe I liked, random stories, or a few posts to keep Grandma updated.  But, for the most part I just wanted to be honest about my short comings and how hard it is to figure out what Christ wants me to be.  But also how rewarding it is.

I think it's important for others to see that believers aren't perfect and many times do live up to the stereotypes that so often accompany Christianity.

I would tend to agree with someone who says Christians are judgmental, because I've felt the sting of judgment from other believers.

I would tend to agree with someone who says that Christians are hypocrites, because I know way too many believers who talk the talk.

I would tend to agree with someone who says that Christians have a "holier than thou" attitude, because "knowledge puffs up."

I agree with all these statements because, at the end of the day, Christians are people.  I can be judgmental, hypocritical, "holier than thou", mean, rude, arrogant, and angry all at the same time.

And that's the ultimate reason I started my blog.  I'm not a perfect Christian.  And I never will be. I wanted to share that with others and let them know that I'm a work in progress, as are all believers. So thanks for bearing with me as I embark on another year of screw ups, growth from screw ups and mediocre pictures.

4 comments:

Nat said...

You can't go wrong sharing Christ's love and forgiveness with the rest of the world :)and that's what other's see when they read your blog!Congrats on your blogiversay!

Carisa said...

I've cut a lot of blogs from my reading list in the last year, but yours was not one of them. Thanks for the honest posts!

Rachel said...

Tami~ Depending on the topic you write I am either challenged, encouraged, or laughing so hard that Kelly always wants to know what you wrote! Keep it up Tam!

Anonymous said...

Discovered your blog a few weeks ago. It's different then other blogs (I mean that in a good way). You seem very down to earth and honest. Your just yourself. I really enjoy the scriptures as i'm working on developing a relationship closer to GOD! Thanks for sharing. As they say sharing is caring. Looking foward to reading your blog this next year. Best of Luck !!!!!!!

Site Meter