Monday, December 13, 2010

You Think You Know Someone...

You'd think after nearly 10 years of marriage I would know everything there is to know about my husband. You'd think there would be no more surprises.  You'd think I could anticipate his thoughts.  His actions. His feelings.

Well, you'd think wrong.

New York was an eye opening trip for me. Not only did I find out that my husband would rise to any challenge, he is also an undeniable fame whore.  I had no idea.  He will go to any lengths to see and be seen.  If you would have asked me before the trip I would have denied it.  But the tape doesn't lie.

There were 3 main occurrences that led me to these new found conclusions. First of all was, of course, our appearance on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. We were 48th and 49th in the standby line and didn't think we had a chance of getting in. When they came out to tell us that we made it in, they picked certain people from the line and told us we would be dancing behind R. Kelly. What? First things that came to mind, "yay! we must still look young enough to get our groove on" and "oh, crap! we can't dance!"

Waiting, waiting and more waiting...


But so worth it - we made it!

Had to buy some t-shirts to commemorate our TV debut because "no pictures allowed" in the studio

Our debut can be seen here. (This is the only site I could find that didn't cut us off in the end, you will have to watch a couple commercials but fast forward until about 1 min from the end.) 

My husband's the one frantically waving behind R. Kelly....though the kiss is pretty sweet I must admit. I just wish I didn't look like I was denying him on national TV.


The second occurrence of my husband trying to catapult himself into the limelight came just a few hours later. The day after the show we went on a group tour of the NBC studios.  We got to see the SNL, Dr. Oz, and news sets. At one point in the tour they asked for volunteers to do a mock news cast.  Guess who's hand went up....yep.  He volunteered me for the desk job and himself to forecast the weather in front of our group. We got a DVD copy of it and I desperately tried to download it to the blog, but couldn't make it work.  It was that good. Think stuttering, mixing up east and west coasts, and flat out forgetting lines. It's a must see.





We got to see Kathy Lee and Hoda in action

The third occurrence surprised the heck out of me too. We were on the plane ride home feeling very jet legged and exhausted from all of our TV appearances.  I decided to throw down a dare.  We run our marriage on bets and dares.  I highly recommend this because, if nothing at all, it keeps life interesting. As I spotted the stewardess coming with the snack cart I dared him to ask her for "penis" instead of peanuts. (I do apologize to all you mature readers out there. I can't help myself, the word "penis" will always be funny). I never in a million years thought he had the guts.  But alas, we each got two bags of "penis" and we couldn't stop laughing the rest of the flight. I now have to make his favorite suppers for a week...he should've upped the ante - I would have done much more.

Did I mention that I wouldn't want to go on a trip without this guy?  And did I mention that we had the time of our lives?  And did I mention this is why I love him?  He keeps me guessing.

3 comments:

Suebhoney said...

OMG! Dave and I are laughing uncontrollably. The penis dare and then seeing you on TV. That was AWESOME! A side I have never seen of Eric and you for that matter! :) Thanks for the laugh. We'll both be laughing the rest of the day. Oh, and the kiss totally makes it!

Anonymous said...

I love it! You are the best story teller. My friend laughed about it too. I'm so glad you two laughed together alot. Your peanuts story reminds me of us...we'd do something mature like that too.:)lol --Koral

tera carr said...

i picked eric out right away - too funny! looks like so much fun!

Site Meter