Friday, December 17, 2010

A Birthday Party for Jesus

The Idea

I decided to host a birthday party for Jesus at my house this year.  The idea came after we celebrated Austyn's birthday in October. We live for birthday parties around here and the girls kept asking me "who's birthday is next?!"  I would say, "Well, it's Jesus's birthday."  So I began to think, why don't we have a party? We have a party for everyone else in the family and Jesus is a member of this family too.  I tried to talk myself out of it several times because of the busyness that is December but I couldn't in good conscience not do it. This is the reason for the season after all!

I would be lying if I said it didn't stress me out, but I only snapped at my husband a few times so I'll call it a success.

The Party



I decided to go with a Follow the Star theme and managed to get a few invitations out.



Found some perfect plates and cups at Hobby Lobby.





I read A Star for Jesus book and then had the kids help decorate Jesus's cake by making it as bright as possible. This was a ton of fun! We also made a star ornament for the kids to take home.



I wanted to invited so many more kids but we were bursting at the seams as it was...I think we had 13 kids not counting the babies!

I also had the kids bring a toy from their home that they could give away to a boy or girl that wouldn't get any toys for Christmas.  The next day I had so many awesome toys to take to Main Street Ministries I was so excited by the kids generosity! The parents brought a bunch of canned goods and food items too!

I forgot to say and do a few things I had planned so I don't know how well I got the "real meaning of Christmas" message across....I even forgot to pray! Good grief.  But, the excitement level was at an all time high and the kids had so much fun at Jesus's party so I'll call it a success!

The Learning

This is what I learned from my party.  I need to utilize my resources, in other words, ASK FOR HELP! My friends have such amazing abilities and I didn't have any of them help.
Oh, how much better it could have been if I would have:








Let her bake the goodies











Had her read the story and talk with the kids













Had her do the crafts



Any one of these awesome moms would've helped if I had only asked...some even offered and I said "no I got it." I don't know why it's so hard for me to receive help.



 My control issues have to go! I'm the only one to blame for my stress, so next year there will be a party and it will be better because I will get off my high horse and ask for help!

2 comments:

Kimberlee Jost said...

And I'll speak for all of us: You're on! :)

Rachel said...

That looks great Tami! Good job! I've probably only got a few years left before our children realize their Mom's parties are pretty lame and then I'll have to step up my game!

Site Meter