Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Encourage the Timid

I've talked a bit about being shy in the past.  Though I wouldn't classify myself in that way anymore, I am not a loud person, nor will I ever be.  So when I read verses like this:

And we urge you brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 1 Thessalonians 5:14

It's no surprise that "encourage the timid" is what sticks out to me.  I love timid people.  I understand them. I am one of them.  Timidity is something that keeps a person from doing anything that's out of their comfort zone. Anything remotely scary is out of the question. Dictionaries describe it as lacking self confidence, shy, fearful, and hesitant.

Though I've come a long way in this department, overcoming fear is a continual struggle for me.  It's one of those things that I have to fully rely on the Lord for.  I'm prayin' for strength...always praying for strength and, if nothing else, an appearance of confidence.

Eleanor Roosevelt said "Do one thing every day that scares you."  Piece of cake for a timid person!  Go across the street and meet some neighbors.  Talk in a group of people.  Better yet, give your opinion in a group of people.  All very scary, I assure you.

But, I think the worst thing about being timid is that you are often completely written off by those who are the opposite of timid. A shy person is often deemed boring or their silence is quickly chalked up to ignorance.  Blah, I hate that!

So here is some encouragement for my friends, the timid:

~ the way I see it, we will have a lot less to answer to in heaven....the Bible sure does mention the "tongue" a lot. :)

~ Eleanor's quote is awesome, just apply it Biblically.  Do one thing for God that scares you everyday, or baby step it - every week.  (Posting this is my scary thing for the week)

~ your words matter just as much as anyone else's!  In fact, I tune in much more to what a shy person has to say because I know firsthand the guts it takes to speak out.  And a response or opinion is usually well thought out too, not off the cuff.

~ you can be used by God!  You don't have to be loud to serve the Lord. He made you this way for a reason and it wasn't to be mean. He wants to be your strength and confidence.

I can't thank God enough for those who have encouraged me.  If it weren't for these people, I may never have grown spiritually or taken risks.  So if you are a shy person, be encouraged!  And thank you to those "loud" people that live this verse out and encourage us to be bold for Christ.

2 comments:

Joy said...

I can totally relate to this. I was often told that what I say didn't matter (and not by my parents, but by peers), so it made me timid. I'm getting out of that now, but it has taken me a really long time and a lot of prayer. Thanks for this. It is good to know other people go through it too.

Mrs. D said...

I agree, it seems like such a long, continual process of overcoming that fear and feeling of unimportance! Thanks for your comments, it's always nice to know when others relate!

Site Meter