Monday, November 29, 2010

Who Makes you Give Thanks?

As a church we are memorizing Matthew 5:14-16

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill can not be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

First, let me give credit where credit is due, thank you Newsboys for helping me memorize this so quickly.

I taped these verses to my mirror and memorized while I straightened my hair, did my makeup and went over my Christmas shopping list for my day out.  It really is amazing how good I've gotten at multitasking...though I don't know if memorizing scripture should be put into my beauty routine (which is getting longer by the day, might I add). Whatever, it's in my memory and that can't be a bad thing.

As I was saying this verse over and over in my head I wondered if I give thanks to the Father in heaven for others' good deeds. At first I thought, no, I don't really give thanks much for those missionaries overseas and those who help the poor. I was kind of thinking large scale - giving thanks for the obvious things believers are doing for the Lord.

So I began to think what or who causes me to give thanks?  It didn't take me long to realize I had given thanks that week, many times, for what believers were doing. Here are a few examples:

My mother-in-law agreed to take the girls so I could do a little Christmas shopping. I called her the night before praying she hadn't backed out and she said "what time are my little cherubs coming? I've been looking forward to it." I breathed a quick prayer when I got of the phone and felt so grateful the rest of the evening. Thank you Lord for two wonderful sets of Grandparents, who love to spend time with my girls, I feel lucky.

I am the Preschool Director at our church. When the quarter switches over I frantically make phone calls trying to get volunteers to teach Sunday school and Children's Church. This completely stresses me out and I often wonder why the heck I agreed to do this in the first place. Then I remember, oh yes, I would much rather do this than volunteer to teach the kids! So this week I called one of the parents to see if she would do Children's Church a couple times for me and she said "yes, I've been wondering when you'd call." Thank you Lord for positive and willing volunteers!

I got an idea to have a birthday party for Jesus at my house this year.  It seemed like a great idea until I remembered that I'm about the farthest thing away from a party planner there is.  Not to mention I have no idea what to do with a group of kids. I began to stress about what I was going to do so I called my crafty sister Ann to get ideas. The next day she emailed me a full detailed list of what to do and when and how to do it. Amazing. Thank you Lord for setting an idea into motion so that I will carry it through for your glory.

I realize all these examples affect me personally, but what all these people did for me and their heavenly Father made me turn my eyes toward heaven and give thanks. They are letting their light shine before men. Cool, very cool.

No comments:

Site Meter