Friday, November 5, 2010

A Couple Good Reads

When I was on "vacation" I got to read a few books that I normally wouldn't allow myself to read. When I'm home I force myself to read parenting/work-on-yourself type books because I feel a little guilty when I sit down to read a novel.  Why must we as mothers feel shame for enjoying a few stolen moments to ourselves? Whether it be devouring a great novel during nap time or taking a good long shower while I sit my kids in front of the TV, I always feel a little stab of guilt afterward. Blah.

Ok, I love to read a good novel when I'm on vacation. Francine Rivers, probably my favorite Christian fiction author, has a new 2 book series out. It's a must read. She's good because she leaves out the cheesy factor. Don't get me wrong, I love a good cheesy romance novel sometimes, but it's refreshing to read someone who actually lives in the real world where yes...bad things happen to good people. And where (can you believe it!) Christians don't actually say the perfect thing at the perfect time.





The other book that I read I actually bought as a "thank you" to my mom for watching my girls. (She probably deserved a set of fine china.) I had already read the Francine Rivers books so I decided to start in on my mom's gift on the plane ride home.  This was a big mistake because I pretty much bawled the entire way home. The poor guy next to me didn't know what to do (Eric was sleeping the whole time) so at one point he reached over and offered to share his peanuts. I took them. I had already devoured mine because I was so focused on my book and I needed something to go with the rest of my Coke.

Read this and keep a box of Kleenex handy:




This is Stephen Curtis Chapman's wife. It's a lot about her life with Stephen, her adoptions and losing one of her adopted daughters in an accident that involved her son. Heartbreaking, yet uplifting. We grew up listening to Stephen's tapes - yes tapes - in the car.  My dad would blast them everywhere we went so it was fun to read about what they were going through in life when we were listening to "I Will be Here" and "More to This Life."

I would love to hear about any "must reads" you suggest for my next vacation.....er, business trip.

2 comments:

Myra said...

Just got done reading this Francine Rivers series. Loved it. I was thinking about blogging on it too! :) Have you read her Mark of the Lion series? You probably have, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Mrs. D said...

LOVE the Mark of the Lion series! Myra I didn't realize you had a blog, I'll be coming to visit :).

Site Meter