Thursday, July 21, 2011

Grass is Always Greener

A few weeks ago my friend sent me a blog article by Lysa TerKeurst of Proverbs 31 Ministries.  It was about jealousy and comparing yourself to other women and their accomplishments. I wanted to quote a few words from it since she puts it so well:

“Wow… look at her marriage. They seem to have it so together.”

“She eats whatever she wants and never gains an ounce. Must be nice.”

“Her outfits always look so snappy while I have a serious case of the frump.”

“I wish I had her job- her smarts- her income. Sigh.”

 Whenever I get an overly idyllic view of someone else’s circumstances, I often remind myself out loud, “I am not equipped to handle what they have—both good and bad.”

When I want the good things someone has, I must realize that I’m also asking for the bad that comes along with it. It’s always a package deal. And usually if I just give a situation enough time to unfold, I thank God I didn’t get someone else’s package.

I find myself often going down the road of comparison.  My comparison games usually go a little something like this:

~I wish I could write like her.  She just has a way with words.

~Look at all the fun and creative things she does with her kids. I wish I could parent like her. 

~Wouldn't it be nice if I were like her and could juggle more than one thing at a time?

~Her house looks so nice.  Wish I could decorate like her.


I love Lysa's line "I am not equipped to handle what they have - both good and bad." We so often look at other women's qualities and see only the good, not the struggles they go through.

I have a friend that I admire and would often compare myself to and end up short every time.  It seems like there is nothing she can't tackle or handle.  She is so full of Godly wisdom and that wisdom seems to make everything around her a success.  Her marriage, her parenting, her ministries, her businesses..... But she recently admitted her stress and fatigue over all the things she has going on in her life.  And, while I'm sorry for her, it was sort of a relief to find out she wasn't perfect after all.

God has equipped her with so much and there is no way I could ever handle that and make it out alive. But she can.  She'll make it through the fatigue and come out on top.  And that's the way God made her, not me.  He equipped me in different ways.  Ways that I need to recognize, nuture, and be thankful for. 

~Maybe I can't write like Beth Moore, but I can be thankful that I have a place to write about what God's teaching me.

~Maybe I can't do crafts and projects without losing it, but I can read to and play with my kids.

~Maybe I can't handle a lot at once, but I can do the best at what God has given me to handle. 

~Maybe I can't decorate like my sister, but I do know what I can do well....clean and keep a nice home.

 Making comparisons is just human nature.  The grass always seems greener on the other side.  But I think the Lord would probably say, "The grass can be green on your side too. You just have to water it." :)

2 comments:

Nat said...

Glad you blogged today. I go through withdrawl on days you don't blog and I don't talk to you :)

Mrs. D said...

Thanks for the blog topic of the day "friend" :). Every day is a Nat withdrawal for me!

Site Meter