Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ahhh...Family

The last few weeks have been a time of a thousand emotions for me.  Something about being around family brings so many more emotions to the surface, am I right? Even though they are mostly good and rich, I just sort of feel drained by the end of it.  There's just so much energy going on, and maybe that's just because of how large my family really is.  With three sisters and a brother and every one's families, we tend to bring a lot to the table. 
 
My dad took all the guys in the family on a week long fishing trip to Canada so the girls got to stay home in South Dakota and what else? Take care of the kids. (Not any bitterness at all going on here.)

 So while Eric was doing this:



We were doing this:



Something makes me feel as though we've done this before....oh ya, darn near everyday for the last few months! Well, despite being left out of the fun, we girls managed to have a pretty good time.  It's always fun to get a little girl time at home, although we are pushing for a girl's getaway next year.

Being home for that long was actually a blessing because I got to be with Grandma while she went through breast cancer treatments. Even though breast cancer is pretty common and my Grandma will turn 80 this year, nothing can prepare you for that news.  I don't care what the situation, breast cancer just flat out sucks.  And seeing my grandma in that situation completely threw me. 

She asked one of us girls to change her bandages twice a day and I thought I could handle it but turns out I'm a total wuss.  After a few minutes of watching a nurse do it I had to literally sit down with my head between my knees!  That expression about "seeing stars" is totally true.

Thank God for Chelsa, my brother Dan's fiance, she's an aspiring nurse and was so kind and gentle with Grandma as she picked up my slack.  I love those moments in life when someone just wins you over with their spirit.  I think I fell just as much in love with Chelsa last week as Dan did over the past few years :).

So, all in all, being home was an awesome time. Even after all the emotions (take your pick...bitterness, joy, sorrow, disappointment, fear, love) a family brings, there's just no one who loves you, roots for you, and understands you like they do. And just maybe...I contribute to that mess of emotions just as much as everyone else.  I'm willing to toy with the idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This week's verse:

But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. 
Matthew 5:44

1 comment:

Kimberlee Jost said...

Thank you for inviting us...my girls had a fabulous time! I'm thinking of trying on the Rapunzel braid myself. What fun! :)

Site Meter