Sunday, October 10, 2010

Finding the Funny

I was reading an article about Marlo Thomas the other day.  I don't really know why because I don't know who she is, but she said something so interesting to me: "There are three kinds of people. Those who see the funny right away, those who see it after they reflect and those who never see it."  I'm realizing this is so true as I think about some of the people in my life.

I would definitely classify myself as someone who sees the funny right away.  I love when people fall down, mix up their words, or do something ridiculous. I love it even more when they can laugh at themselves, because it just is awkward if you're the only one laughing at them. I have a hard time understanding serious people...I sometimes wonder if life's circumstances have brought them to a place where they can't see the funny at all.  But often times I just want to say something like, "it's not traumatic that you passed out at the dentist...it's freaking hilarious!"

I laugh at weird times and about weird things. Sometimes I lay in bed at night and start giggling about something someone said or did years ago.  Eric just says "what now?" Then I burst out laughing and try to retell the story...he never finds it quite as funny as I do but he usually gives me a courtesy laugh. Like that time when all of us college athletes were in the gym filling out our physical forms and one of the guys yelled out "how do you spell syphilis?" Gets me every time. I giggle when I'm getting adjusted at the chiropractor mainly because it's so awkward. There's just something funny about being cracked by someone you barely know. I wiped out on my kitchen floor last week....hilarious.

I find myself being very drawn to people who are funny.  If I go to a get together of any kind I veer straight to the people who will make me laugh.  Probably because I grew up in a family who likes to joke about everything. We make fun of each other unmercifully and I love every minute of it. If this gives you any idea, my nickname growing up was "birdbrain." My sisters still love to call me this.  Now that I think of it...maybe some of my self esteem issues derived from that.  I see therapy in my future.  It's always the parents fault.

No comments:

Site Meter