Friday, December 16, 2011

I Just Can't do it, Captain

I am by nature a pretty competitive person.  Right now that competitiveness has pretty much been reduced to a intense game of cards.  So since I don't have much of an outlet - like sports - for it anymore, I tend to get really ticked when I can't do something that someone else can.

Here's something I just CAN NOT do and everyone else seems to have no problem with it......

Make sugar cookies.

I try around Christmas time every year, and every year presents a new problem:

This year my first batch of cookies looked like this:


Last time I checked sugar cookies were not supposed to look 90 years old.


And boy was I ticked. 

Let's just say my kids lost interest after I rolled out the first batch. 

I either roll them out too thin or make them to thick.

Then they stick to the counter and I can't get them off.

Then I say some Christian curse words.

Then I tell the girls "I need some space."

Then I put the dough in a ball again, throw down some flour and try again.

Then I miraculously get some on the pan.

Then I burn them.

Then my husband walks in and I say something mean to him to get some frustration out.



I just can't do it, Captain! 
(this is a line off some movie that my family always quotes with a very convincing Brittish accent, currently it's driving me nuts that I can't remember which movie.)

But my competitive nature will not let this lick me.  Some year I will master it!  In the meantime, I did discover that frosting covers a MULTITUDE of sins.





Since the cookies tasted okay I even had the audacity to take them to neighbors.

The girls joined back in after I finally got the cookies "done."  Then we had fun after I cooled off a bit.




I know this begs the question, "Is it really worth all the stress?" 

All I can say to that is "yes, until I can make them as good as anyone else."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This Week's Verse:

Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.
Psalm 55:22

3 comments:

Carisa said...

Oh Tami, I think we were separated at birth. I'm going to email you the best recipe I have found and some links. They got the best of me for many years, but no more! and i've even converted them to a gfree version...still quite tasty.

Chaos-Jamie said...

Star Trek.
What do I win? Some cookies? Please? Since I don't make them??

Mel Evans said...

Ahahahaha. :)

Site Meter