Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The View from the Top of a Manure Pile

I've been reading the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan for Bible Study.  This book is a life changer.  I may get into why a little later but for now there is one quote in the book that has been replaying in my mind as of late, "Christians are like manure: spread them out and they help everything grow better, but keep them in one big pile and they stink horribly."

There are many days I love living in this town.  I have the privilege(?) of living in a very devout society.  Every which way you turn your head there are believers.  Or maybe I should say, church goers.  It's all very safe, very predictable, a town you want your kids to grow up in.

But as of late I am seeing "religion" rear it's ugly head.  Over the last couple months I've attended two church meetings at two different churches.  Both meetings were intense and both were over potentially divisive issues.  Both though, left me with a feeling of....why can't we just all get along?  I know I'm oversimplifying and understating both issues but, in the mist of church politics what happened to the greatest commandment in all this arguing? A command that I myself have been recently convicted of.

LOVE.

Through all of the backbiting, gossip, slander, judgments, and screaming, I can't help but think of what a terrible witness it is to those who don't know the Lord. If this is what Jesus looks like, I wouldn't want any part of it either.

The one thing I am sure about these days is that....I detect a stench.

2 comments:

Carisa said...

I had forgotten that quote! Amazing book. My heart has been heavy the past several days for various reasons....what you write about being one of them.

Malinda said...

I just keep thinking about that quote, too. Thanks for sharing and for being such a great part of Bible study!

Site Meter