Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Distance and Sunglasses

One of Eric's college buddies used to say, "there are two things that make most women look good - distance and sunglasses."  I thought he was being an idiot at the time, but as I age I'm finding distance and sunglasses to be close friends of mine. I think one of the worst things about getting older is losing the ability to get a look *. (You know what I'm talking about girls.) To guys, I've become an aging, wrinkling hot-mess mom, not a potential date.

 *And don't say you don't know what I'm sayin' because if you are
a woman you've gotten a look or two.

My younger sister Becky has been living with me for the past month and if there's one thing I've found out, it's that she has not lost this ability by any means. She's....well....she's hot. Whenever we go out every guy practically gets whiplash when she walks by. Meanwhile I'm sitting there thinking..."what am I? Chopped liver? Give me something. A polite courtesy look. Anything. I'll take a 15 year old boy with acne."

But no, it's all about Beck. She is oblivious to this and I find it hilarious. Some guys are bold and will come right up to her and ask her out, but most just look at her longingly hoping to catch her eye.

see what I mean

As if I need one more thing to be insecure about. Thanks a lot Beck! :)
It's not that I want to be asked out by guys because, ultimately, I just care if I can turn my husband's head. I've been out of the game so long I wouldn't even know what to do if a guy approached me anyway. I would probably use one of Becky's lines because she's a pro at this..."I'm with someone" or "I've got this friend....she would be perfect for you." Actually, most likely I would laugh out loud and ask him if someone dared him to do it.

I think it just comes down to the aging thing. This is another sign of my youth slipping away. Until I get used to this shift from youth to this woman/mom person I've become, I'll just have to keep my shades close by.


4 comments:

Suebhoney said...

Tami, you are gorgeous! I think someone is having cabin fever. ha! Is this a trick post to get everyone to tell you how pretty you are? :) Because YOU ARE! I'm sitting here typing this in sweat pants, sweat shirt, crazy hat hair and little makeup on. Oh well! It's a snow day and I think most mom's are trying to make it to bed time. Your sister is pretty as well, but hello, it's in the genes. I have seen your mom. And come on, look at your family too, good lookin' hubby, yes I said it, ah-dorable kids and come on, you are hot, I guarantee Eric will be telling you that later once he reads your post. ;) Happy snow day and PLEASE let this be the end of snow for a while!

Mrs. D said...

And to beautiful Sue...you are the fairest of them all :). I know I totally have cabin fever - way too much time to think about how many times my sister has been asked out today :). She called me this morning and told me 2 different guys helped scape her driveway...this after I walked in the door from shoveling my own...

Chaos-Jamie said...

shut up, hottie.

Carisa said...

oh, Tami. I almost had to tell you that you couldn't knit with me because you were too darn cute with those sticks!

Site Meter