Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Gray Days

The home I grew up in had two large glass sliding doors facing the East. In the morning the sun would stream in those doors, warming the house and leaving 2 large rectangle patches of sunlight on the carpet. In the morning, when time would allow, I would lay in those spaces of sunlight, moving with them as they moved. I loved the warmth, coziness, and comfort of those patches of sun and remember feeling disappointed when the sun rose too high in the sky for them to remain. Then I would will myself to get up and move on with my day.

I am revived by the sun. It is life giving. Energy giving. I feel like when the sun is out, I am on top of the world, able to accomplish my tasks before me. I feel like the Lord is near. His face is shining upon me. 

But then, there are gray days....like today.  The days when the sun refuses to appear.  And I feel down. I am down. The Lord feels far away. I cannot accomplish the tasks set before me.  I don't want to.  My attitude reflects the weather. I hear every whine. I see every speck of dust...every cheerio in the carpet. Time stands still. Ten minutes feels like ten hours. My calling of staying at home weighs heavy upon me.

As I began this rainy day, I felt very weary of what kind of day I was facing. The Lord met me in my down state with these words and they brought a patch of sunlight into my gray day. Maybe they will for you too....

"No matter what your circumstances may be, you can find Joy in My Presence. On some days Joy is generously strewn along your life-path, glistening in the sunlight. On days like that, being content is as simple as breathing the next breath or taking the next step.  Other days are overcast and gloomy; you feel the strain of the journey, which seems endless. Dull gray rocks greet your gaze and cause your feet to ache. Yet Joy is still attainable. Search for it as for hidden treasure.

Begin by remembering that I have created this day; it is not a chance occurrence. Recall that I am present with you whether you sense My Presence or not. Then, start talking with Me about whatever is on your mind. Rejoice in the fact that I understand you perfectly, and I know exactly what you are experiencing. As you continue communicating with Me, your mood will gradually lighten. Awareness of My marvelous Companionship can infuse Joy into the grayest day." - Jesus Calling by Sarah Young

No comments:

Site Meter