Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Girls are Hard to Beat

I didn't expect the tears to come so suddenly.  Or at all, really.  I guess I wanted it more than I thought.

"Are we sure we want to find out what we're having today?" asked the sono tech.

"Yep," Eric and I said in unison as we smiled in anticipation at one another.  Having two girls already, I was just sure this was a boy.  I had the name picked out and who I would call first and tell.  I envisioned Eric having a little buddy to follow him around.  He would eventually turn into a tall basketball player with lots of Division 1 prospects, a star baseball player, and a state high jumper like his daddy.  Being a 4.0 student, his high school years would be followed by a career in medicine, of course. 

Then I awoke from my dream to a reality I wasn't prepared for.

"Okay, well it looks like another little girl!" said the tech with a smile on her face.  Do you see here where the....

Nothing.  I heard nothing else.  Tears.  Lots of them.  Couldn't stop them.

"What's the matter?" said Dr. Bradley at my follow up appointment.

"I'm having a girl!" I wailed, "and I wanted a boy!!"

"Oh, good, because usually they tell me in advance if there's not a heartbeat or something," he laughed. "It could be worse, the lady who just left here was crying because she just found out she's having twins." More laughter.

Ha. Ha.

It's ridiculous, I know.  I have a healthy baby, what a waste of tears, right?  This is what I kept telling myself.  I guess it's the dying of a dream.  If this is how I reacted to having three girls, learning I have a fourth on the way would definitely be the end of me. This is most likely it for us, unless the Lord has different plans.  But, if I've found out anything in the last few days, it's that the Lord definitely has his own plans!

I always imagined myself having boys. Mainly because I don't like drama and where there are girls...drama is sure to follow.  I grew up with three sisters, I know this better than anyone else.

So, with visions of drama swirling in my head and tears streaming down my face, I texted my family (I wasn't in any shape to talk on the phone):

We're having another girl! Only positive comments are welcome...it's gonna take me a minute to digest this :).

My dad was the first to respond:

Take it from an expert. Girls are hard to beat.

More tears. Sobbing actually.

That was my turning point. My wake up call.  My two little girls at home sure as heck can't be beat, and I know this one still growing inside me would far surpass any boy I envisioned.  After all, girls can play Division 1 too. 

And, that father/daughter bond....take it from me - there's nothing like it.

It's gonna be okay.

Girls are hard to beat.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This Week's Verse:

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14

7 comments:

Tracy said...

I understand the disappointment....when we found out we were having #3....I was certain it was a girl and really wanted another girl since it had been 6 years since Reese was a baby. But after having Maddox and seeing him with Reese and Cooper it just didn't matter anymore....you will come to that on your own time and it will be wonderful having 3 beautiful healthy girls to love!

If you think boys don't have drama....you can borrow my 4 year old for a day and see if you want a boy after that!!! LOL

Suebhoney said...

Oh Tami, I must say I did shed a tear when I saw on facebook you were having another girl. But it quickly turned to a smile because I haven't read any posts about you having any problems with this pregnancy. Just think, down the road, you will have 3 son in laws! I'm with Tracy, if you need a boy fix, you can borrow Gavin for a few hours. He will inform you all there is to know about farming and equipment!

Congrats on a healthy baby girl!!!!

Malinda said...

Tami, how I can relate! I was so sure Jemma was a boy...and finding out she was "another" girl, I was so let down! But like you, God brought me to a peaceful place...and also led me to the page in the name book where I found the name Jemma...meaning precious jewel, precious gem. Perfect.

Shelley Janousek said...

Very touching story Tami- I can't wait to see your 3rd little girl. The two you have are totally beautiful. You are very blessed with such a beautiful family. Although it really does make you wonder what your mother thought when Becky(4th Jons girl) was born--and what would we do without Becky??

JMB said...

Oh, Tami! So many of us have gone thru the same emotional roller coaster. I know it was that way when we were expecting Emma. We (especially Seth) SO wanted it to be a boy. There were tears... But after several weeks, we learned how much better God's plans are!

And God must think that you and Eric are fully equipped for those drama-ful girls!!!
Thank you for so openly sharing your life.
Jeanie

MotherT said...

I understand the disappointment, but when she shows up...

When I was pregnant with my oldest daughter, ultrasounds were a new technology. The tech had me convinced I was having twin boys. I was completely unprepared for one very large baby girl.

Sarah said...

Tami~ Like many others I can completely relate....and your story is so close to how I felt with #3. I was sure we were having a boy (wishful thinking that their Daddy would have someone to share the car pssion with!) but lo and behold another girl!! My shock and slight disappointment was soon put in check when we found out at our appointment that she had CPC (cysts) on the brain that could be a marker for Downs'. My disappointment was soon replaced with nothing but concern for our little girl as she continued to develop! Glad to report that she is healthy as can be and having 3 girls is awesome!!! After all, who's to say girls can't be car enthusiest as well! Congratulations again!!

Site Meter