Sunday, February 24, 2013

Something I Love

I thought I would every-so-often write about a few things that I use often or that I can't live without. Some will be frivolous while others are lasting.  I'll start with one that's lasting. 

For Christmas, my mom and dad got me the devotional Jesus Calling.  I have come to cherish the moments that I get to sit down and soak in the words that the Lord has for me each day through this small book.



There is rarely a day when I read that I don't feel God's very voice speaking to me through it.  And today was no exception.

Today is Sunday.  I look forward to Sunday mornings because I get to be among friends and worship with my fellow believers.  Sunday's revive me.  It's a set aside time to worship the Lord and talk with others about what you're learning from him. And as a mom of young kids, to have a time carved out to do this is priceless.

Well, unfortunately we've had a lot of sickness this winter in our family.  Often times I find myself sitting at home on Sundays (and many other days).  And today is one of those days.  Brianna is cranky and sick.  I was annoyed and disappointed.  And thoughts like this started to creep in...

Why am I the one who always has to stay home?  I'm always home!

I always have to miss out on things because of the kids being sick.

Why do I even try to make plans!

My life sucks!

Yes, my thought life becomes a bit dramatic...So, after I got the baby down for a nap, I made a conscious decision (even though my house was a mess and I desperately wanted to clean it) to sit down and spend some time with the Lord.  I opened Jesus Calling and this is what I read...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Be on guard against the pit of self-pity.  When you are weary or unwell, this demonic trap is the greatest danger you face.  Don't even go near the edge of the pit.  Its edges crumble easily, and before you know it, you are on the way down.  It is ever so much harder to get out of the pit than to keep a safe distance from it.  That is why I tell you to be on guard.

...When you are occupied with praising and thanking Me, it is impossible to feel sorry for yourself.  Also, the closer you live to Me, the more distance there is between you and the pit.  Live in the Light of My Presence by fixing your eyes on Me.  Then you will be able to run with endurance the race that is set before you, without stumbling or falling.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross...Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 12:1-3
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Motherhood takes endurance.  Lots of it.  And there are days when I am very, very weary of it.  But, I want to run this race of motherhood with perseverance and without living in the pit of self-pity.  I spend way too much time in that pit.  The Lord has marked out this race that's set before me.  I want to honor and praise him and thank Him for it, even when I think I can't run anymore.
 
 
Lord thank you for this quiet morning that I got to spend with you. I praise you that I got to rock my baby and spend time with her without interruption.  Thank you that she's sleeping now. And thank you for your gentle words of reprimand that were intended to mold me and shape me into the woman you want me to be.  Your woman.  Help me to run this race you set before me with a thankful heart.


2 comments:

darnly said...

I had not read Jesus Calling yet today and Larry and I had to stay home also because of colds....and I hate that too. Great lesson.
I also like her Jesus Today when you get done with Jesus Calling.
Love you!!

MotherT said...

A friend gave me a copy of "Jesus Calling" at Christmas time. She said she had learned so much the previous year with it, that she wanted to share it with me. I'm enjoying my time in it, also.

Site Meter