Thursday, November 15, 2012

Keeping in Step

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature.  They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want.
Galatians 5:16-17

Whenever I read Paul's words here I come away thinking...boy are these verses ever true.  I can literally feel a war going on in my soul probably every day.  My sinful nature is very alive and well. Here's a fraction of what goes through my mind on a daily basis...


I'm going to tell her she's being a jerk.

Do it.

If my child disobeys me one more time I'm going to lose it on her.

About time.

I'm going to call someone and tell them this juicy piece of news!

Oh, that someone will love to hear it.

I'm way too busy to have them over.

Yes, you are so busy.

Ugh, I need to remind/nag my husband to fix that.

Maybe if you keep doing it he'll remember!


The bummer part is, I find myself listening to this sinful side of me far to much. Sometimes I get so far into it I literally don't know the truth from the lie.  When I can feel this war going on, I often find myself saying out loud, "Get thee behind me Satan!", so I can figure out what the Lord really wants of me in a certain situation.

I guess the good news is that I definitely have the POWER to overcome it.  And I know the more I do overcome it the softer that sinful voice will become. It just feels as though it's center stage right now.

But hey, I'm blaming it on the baby!  I totally fell out of my routine of daily reading God's word after I had her.

Oh wait, blaming?  Couldn't possibly be my sinful nature...


Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.
Galatians 5:25, 26

1 comment:

Kimberlee Jost said...

I needed to read this today. Sooo good to know I am not alone.

Site Meter